Volunteering is the act of providing something, such as a service or a good, for free for the benefit of society. It can help charitable organizations meet their goals and missions because the more volunteers they have, the less funding they may need to keep themselves operational. Life can also be maintained by volunteering, such as aiding programs that deliver meals to those who are unable to obtain food for themselves and shelters that protect survivors of domestic violence.
In addition to others, organizations, and society, volunteers can benefit from their service, too! Here are a few ways how:
- Improve physical and psychological health.
- Learn new things.
- Potentially increase your chances of earning a scholarship.
- Solve problems.
- Opportunity to make friends.
- Experience different cultures.
- Improve other people’s lives, which can truly feel great.
- Experience challenge, which can lead to growth.
- Provide a sense of accomplishment.
- Fill your life with purpose.
- Know that you made a difference.
- Opportunity to be around positive adults who can serve as positive role models and mentor you.
- Immersion in positive, constructive activities.
- Feel better about yourself.
- Be a catalyst for positive change.
- Great networking opportunity.
- Gain respect and recognition.
- Have free/affordable fun!
Ideas to get you started:
- Donate canned or boxed food (non-perishable) to a food pantry.
- Donate clothes that you don’t wear.
- Take toys or stuffed animals that are in satisfactory condition to a children’s hospital.
- Read books to children.
- Send a care package to deployed troops or veterans.
- Donate books to schools that don’t have much, if anything, in a library.
- Take care of elderly neighbors’ yard work or household responsibilities.
- Tutor kids.
- Coach or help coach a sports team.
- Host a community-wide clean up.
- Spread awareness for a cause that you care about on your social media.
- Play with and/or walk animals at a local shelter.
- Visit an animal sanctuary, and provide care to the animals.
- Participate in fun activities with the elderly at a retirement home.
- Volunteer in a church nursery or children’s area.
- Search for a cause that you care about on the internet and related volunteer opportunities.
What our friends think:
Michelle T. says, “There are great opportunities for volunteers. Volunteering at animal shelters is awesome. I always have the best time. You can also volunteer at festivals and community events. Great way to meet people and check out other resources, events, groups, vendors, etc.”
Jordan B. says, “Courageous moves are made by courageous people. How does one become courageous? By learning from experiences of hardship, conquering fears, and trusting the good within one’s soul to prosper into something beautiful, like a butterfly coming out of one’s cocoon. Struggles are very challenging; however, it teaches you strength, patience, and perspective. Once one has perspective, compassion doubles because one knows how important it is to help others from their suffers. Mixing courage with compassion creates magic within one’s heart to prosper into growth of a beautiful life. Life is to be celebrated, for we are lucky to be chosen to experience it. Celebrating others by giving them your helping hand and kind heart truly brings happiness to the world and is key to a fulfilled heart.”
Nicolette W. says, “For me, it fills a void by providing a sense of belonging and importance as well as by providing positive role models and mentors. Volunteering helped me discover my passion and purpose.”
Do your own research! No Longer Silenced Movement encourages you to do your own research about topics of your interest in order to formulate your own educated opinion.