If the place that you need to travel is within reasonable distance, bicycling may be the most efficient way to travel. Bicycling is an awesome mode of transportation for many reasons. Here are a few of those reasons:
- No fossil fuel use.
- Powered by human energy, which is renewable energy.
- Mostly non-pollutant to our environment, especially in comparison to some vehicles.
- Usable without a driver’s license.
- Available for people of mostly all ages.
- Provides health and fitness benefits.
- Generally more affordable to purchase in comparison to some vehicles.
- Generally more affordable to repair in comparison to some vehicles.
- Saves taxpayers money by lessening road wear.
- Requires less storage space, such as parking in a parking lot, in comparison to some vehicles.
There are many actions that can be taken to increase your safety while bicycling. Here are a few:
- Wear a bicycle helmet.
- Make sure it’s properly fitted.
- Ensure that your bicycle is adjusted to fit your body.
- Be as visible as possible by:
- Wearing neon, fluorescent, or bright colors.
- Wearing something reflective.
- Using lights on the front and back of your bike.
- Check before your ride.
- Are tires properly inflated?
- Are breaks working?
- Is the chain on correctly and properly oiled?
- Are the seat, handlebars, and wheels tightly fit?
- Be alert for road hazards including:
- Parked cars.
- Contact your local authorities to make sure that you are in compliance with all pertinent laws.
- Ride with the flow of traffic.
- Ride on the right side/going in the same direction as other vehicles.
- Ride single-file.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Traffic signs, signs, lane markings should be followed.
- Yield when appropriate.
- Stay alert.
- Look before you turn.
- Use designated bike lanes and routes whenever possible.
- When passing people or other cyclists, always pass on the left and say loudly enough to be heard, “On your left!”
- Use hand signals to alert others where you’re heading:
The image above is courtesy of kidshealth.org.
Do your own research! No Longer Silenced Movement encourages you to do your own research about topics of your interest in order to formulate your own educated opinion.