Participate In Community Activities
Being part of a community is kind of like being a member of a huge family or team. When we collaborate with others in our neighborhood, we can accomplish amazing things!
There are countless benefits that come with being involved in community activities. Here are a few of those benefits:
- Provide yourself and your family with a sense of belonging.
- Opportunity to be around positive adults who can serve as positive role models and mentor you.
- Learn new things.
- Gain respect and recognition.
- Opportunity to make friends.
- Experience different cultures.
- Immersion in positive, constructive activities.
- Influence the direction in which your community is heading.
- Increased feelings of pride and satisfaction.
- Heightened self-confidence.
- Great networking opportunity.
- Opportunity to help and serve others.
- Potentially increase your chances of earning a scholarship.
- Gain skills and experiences that can help you build your resume and get into college or get a job.
- Have free/affordable fun!
Have you ever considered getting involved in your community? Are you needing help figuring out what to do? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Pick up trash along roads (take extra precaution of motor vehicles on roads).
- Coach or help coach a youth sport.
- Join a band, and perform for your neighborhood.
- Host an art show.
- Promote causes that you care about.
- Participate in a race, such as a 5K.
- Have a neighborhood field day with friendly competitions.
- Host a talent show.
- Join a sports team.
- Get a projector and screen, and host a movie night in a local field.
What our friends think:
Logan M. says, “It’s important, just got a letter from my neighborhood watch on my neighborhood, good to know they are looking out.”
Tyler K. says, “I think it’s important because it helps you get a better understanding of why things are the way they are. Community activities also help you understand that you’re not alone and that you can make a positive contribution not only to your community but to your own self-worth. Knowing that you can make an impact in a multitude of ways gives you power and control over your community’s destiny. Plus, it’s also a great opportunity to meet new people that are looking for the same things in life as you are and helps teach you the tools that maybe your parents or childhood did not teach you. Helping others is the best way to invest in yourself.
Do your own research! No Longer Silenced Movement encourages you to do your own research about topics of your interest in order to formulate your own educated opinion.